December...oh what a lovely month! Lots of celebrations including the holidays and both my parent's birthdays. A month to wrap up the year and get ready for a brand new year! A fresh start is always awesome :)
This past weekend, we celebrated my dad's birthday. He is the most selfless, giving man I know. His beautiful nature is so touching and I am very thankful and lucky to have him as a father. His cake turned out SO delicious! Ya'll got to try it ;)
I adapted a recipe I saw on a youtube video on the Wendy Williams show by chef Gesine Bullock-Prado (Sandra Bullock's sister). She had a mother that was vegan! This cake was so DELICIOUS!!! I'm still in awe on how moist it was. The flavors go so well with each other. It is gluten-free, dairy-free, and eggless. Vegan-friendly... oh yeah! Recipe below :)
chocolate cake with coconut cream and strawberries
You will need to double this recipe if you want a 2 tier cake as shown in the picture above :)
2 cups peeled and grated zucchini (2 medium zucchini)
11⁄4 cups gluten-free flour*
1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
3 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 "eggs" (vegan substitute for eggs)**
1⁄2 cup coconut sugar
1⁄2 cup raw turbinado sugar
1/2 c grape seed oil
2 1/2 tbs rice vinegar
1tsp vanilla extract
Coconut whipped cream:
1 can of coconut milk, refrigerated over night
~5 tbs of powdered sugar (the one they sell at Whole Foods is vegan)
3/4 c coconut oil
1/4 c cocoa powder
3-4 tbs maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Peel the zucchini and grate. After about 10 minutes, squeeze out excess moisture.
3. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, expresso powder and salt. Whisk until well incorporated and sift.
4. In a food processor, pulse on high the zucchini, egg replacer, sugars, oil, vinegar and vanilla until well combined. With a spatula scrap down sides to incorporate everything into the mixture.
5. Add to the food processor 1/2 of the flour mixture and pulse until well combined. Add the remainder of the flour mixture and process on high until well incorporated.
6. Do this twice so that you get 2 batters of cake mix. Pour each mixture into a 9" cake pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remember to coat the pans with a little bit of coconut oil so it doesn't stick to the pan.
* I used a gluten-free flour mix from Bob's Red Mill
** I used the brand The Neat Egg for the egg substitute; you simply use 1 tbs of the mixture with 2 tbs of water for one egg. If you don't have this, you can use flaxseed meal and combine it with water to also make a gelatinous substance.
Coconut whipped cream:
Refrigerate a can of coconut milk over night and when ready to decorate the cake open the can and scoop out the cream and whip with some powdered sugar until a cream is formed. Use a hand held electrical mixer to whip it. I used approximately 4-5 tbs of powdered sugar, but use as little or as much as you'd like.
1/2 cup of coconut oil, half way melted so that it could be thick when you spread it. Mix the oil with 1/4 c of cocoa powder and 3-4 tbs of maple syrup (depending on how sweet you want it)
Spread the whipped cream on top of the first layer. Place sliced strawberries on top. Layer with the other cake and top with the chocolate ganache. Top with more fresh strawberries!
I think this is my favorite cake I've made so far!! I'm telling you, it is heaven! Thank you so much for reading and remember to check out my shop for some unique gifts for your loved ones. You'll find adorable baby clothes, warm cozy sweaters, bracelets, purses, and so much more! Go into the shop section of the website or click below :)
Until next time!
much love and peace,